sisterhood of the traveling smarty-pants

Today (or more accurately yesterday, as it is already nearing dawn), we had a bull session in our Psych class. It was kind of our integration day, last day as it is before the finals. We had a few exercises to jog us around a bit.

So, with papers taped to our backs we wrote what we thought of each classmate. I liked this exercise, particularly because it gives me a new perspective of myself, when I look at myself in the point of view of others.

My classmates don't really know me as well as my friends do, but what and who I am to them makes me think as how I am with other people who are not truly close to me. And I was happy with what they thought of me.

They put in smart, opinionated, intellectual, among others that describe me. I didn't initially want to come off as an ass or cocky, but when people think you are smart you tend to like their perspective of you and eventually think that maybe this is what you really are.

I don't really subscribe to that idea that I'm smarter than others, just smart is okay with me. I tend to think of other people as having quite different ideas and concepts that amaze me, so I think they really are rather smart too. I've become flabbergasted with others who present ideas that make me think twice about my own. So I'm not really smart, just that I surround myself with smart people.

But I appreciate my classmates for giving me a fresh perspective of myself. I'll miss that class, as I've learned not simply from theories and concepts from the actual science, but more from the ideas and musings of others and how these can be applied to their lives.

0 Comments:

Search the Web

Custom Search

From Time.com

Plurk!